Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Celebrating Thanksgiving

Hello! I've been away from home for almost a week.  My family and I enjoyed a nice vacation to Washington DC. My husband and son flew home Sunday, while my daughters and I stayed a little longer to spend time with my sister in Maryland.  It's been so nice not to worry about anything, except maybe that I shouldn't be eating so many of my sisters homemade cinnamon rolls.
I just realized that Thanksgiving has snuck up on me faster than I realized.  I wanted to share some of the things I've been thinking about to help us celebrate.

Every year my sister and I were in charge of making gum drop turkeys for each place setting.  It was my favorite traditon at Thanksgiving.  Sometimes we would make fifty or more so everyone in our large extended family could have one. I've tried to make them every year with my kids.


I'm not a huge fan of Gum drops so I think this year we will make these trukeys by Nike at Thrive. They look modern and yummy. You can find the tutorial HERE.
Making turkey's is a perfect activity for kids to keep them busy while dinner is being prepared. Here are a couple other ideas I like as well.


I would love to try and make these simple paper hats and bonnets. You can find Martha's instructions for them HERE.

My daughter would think I was the coolest mom ever if I helped her make a few of these Corn Husk Dolls. Family Fun shows you how to make them with tamale wrappers found at the Grocery Store. Get the tutorial HERE.

How about you? I love hearing how others celebrate. What do you do to celebrate while dinner is cooking?

10 comments:

banananutmeg said...

the boys go play football, the rest of us watch the macy's parade, eat, eat...uh....eat....and watch the Charlie Brown movies (while we eat).

Tiggeriffic said...

When the boys were home they would always go pheasant hunting with their dad. We have 40 acres. The 2 girls and I would make the annual traditional wheat dinner rolls and pies. I love Thanksgiving.. It's one of my favorite Holidays.. It's a time to be blessed and enjoy our families.

Anonymous said...

Hey! We made those turkey cookies last week! They were a huge hit! I think I got them off recipes.com.

Kimi Coopet said...

Several years ago, way before I had kids, I made these Oreo Turkey Cookies. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamakimi/4123754660/

I can't remember how they came to be, but every other holiday at my house had a fun cookie besides Thanksgiving. Now they have blown up! I probably make several hundred of these guys for friends and family. Not to mention the random friends of friends who like to come over on the days we make them so they can make them too!

They have evolved into something a lot cuter than the 1st year I made them. I can't wait to start making them again this week!

Delia said...

I love how that boy in the Pilgrim hat picture is so not enjoying himself. Made my day. What great ideas. I am really interested in that hat project from Martha.

Sue said...

The gumdrop cookie is so cute!

Sue said...

Actually I meant gumdrop turkey, not cookie:)

Anonymous said...

So funny. We were getting ready to make a turkey very similar to gumdrop turkey except with an apple as the body and a big marshmallow as the head. Also we made our pilgrim hats, today :)

Kelly Cristina said...

Beatiful, congratulations...kisses and have a nice day!!!!

www.kellybelulas.blogspot.com

KB said...

I love your modge podge hand trees! We decided to make them using fall colors to decorate our mantle for Thanksgiving. I love the corn husk doll idea too - so cute.
http://kb-adventuresinhomeschooling.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails