Monday, March 28, 2011

a very berry birthday

We celebrated another birthday this weekend. When I asked my sweet Kate what kind of cake she wanted, I wasn't surprised when she said Strawberry Shortcake. She loves strawberries. 

I'll be honest, I wasn't in the mood to pull together a birthday celebration, but she had high expectations after her sisters Dora party

So I pulled myself together and got to work the day before her birthday. 

I made polka dot garlands.
 they are so simple to make and added a lot of fun to the room.

Strawberry bunting

Of course she needed a party hat,

and a shirt to match. 

The newest version of Strawberry Shortcake has this cute argyle-strawberry pattern we had to copy. 

She was so excited to look like Strawberry. 

The Cake:
I used my usual fondant recipe. To make my life easier, I made a double batch two weeks ago for our last party. The recipe says it will last up to two months in the fridge. Well, it didn't really work for me. The fondant was so dry. It was cracking like crazy and I was really mad. Lesson learned, make it the night before. 
I really liked the strawberry on top and the argyle. Kate watched and wanted to help with everything. I finally let her help put the polka dots on. they're not perfect but it was fun to work together. 


I was finally able to give her the dolls and clothes I've been working on all month. She loved them.  

She's been dragging her suitcase all over the house. I cringe every time I hear it bounding down the stairs. The idea was that it would stay under her bed and be pulled out when she wanted to play with the dolls. Oh well, for now I'll just enjoy that she loves them so much.

I'm so excited to show you all the stuff I've made for her dolls. I'll be posting in a couple days.

Check out THESE super cool parties I like to link to. 

23 comments:

aggieam01 said...

This is beautiful! I would have LOVED to have a party like this when I was younger. So awesome!!

a Matula ikrek said...

Berry birthday Kate!!! :o)
Cool party, amazing gifts and pretty outfit! She's a very lucky girl!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

lol @ the comment about her dragging the suitcase around. hehe!

I LOOVE the cake, Kalleen...can your cake skills please rub off on me? It is awesome. I love the little shirt and matching hat too! For starting the night before, I'd say you worked some party magic!

Joi Montrief said...

Found you off of Craft-o-maniac. This is sooo cute. I am thinking of doing a Strawberry Shortcake Bday for my little one too. Great Ideas.

www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

Jen @ My Own Road said...

Wow great job with everything!! I especially love the shirt you made, it's so cute!

Lindsay said...

LOVE it!!! I am planning a Strawberry Shortcake party for my 2yo turning 3yo so I bookmarked this. I think I may take your shirt idea and turn it into a dress. Great ideas! Thanks!!!

Stef said...

What a special birthday party!! Great tip about the fondant not actually lasting, but I can't tell at all from the pictures - it looks perfectly smooth!

I CANNOT wait to see more on the suitcase and the dolls and clothes. Adorable!

xo,
Stef

Melissa N. said...

WOW you pulled this together in a few days! Talent lady, pure talent! Love it!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

So cute!!! Oddly enough, my daughter dressed up in her Strawberry Shortcake costume this morning and decided it was the outfit she wanted to wear today - lol. Love it!

Jessica said...

I loooooooove the outfit. You are truly the queen of making character themed parties tasteful.

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

So adorable! Love Strawberry shortcake! you did a lovely job!


I use that fondant recipe too!! Did you put a bunch of Crisco on the fondant when you stored it? That helps with the drying out. I'm sure you know that already :)

Another lesson with this fondant: Don't try to half the recipe!

Jen said...

What a fun Strawberry Shortcake party! That shirt you made is adorable.

Jen said...

What a fun Strawberry Shortcake party! That shirt you made is adorable.

Michelle said...

You are so creative! I love her little outfit with the matching hat and the cake is simply beautiful!

Unknown said...

OH' I AM IN LOVE! My 5 year old daughter wants a strawberry shortcake birthday... that is all she talks about. She has played with her strawberry shortcake house and dolls all day. You have inspired me. Such cuteness. LOVE IT ALL. winks- jen

Marian said...

I would have L.O.V.E.D. this party when I was little! Strawberry Shortcake was my favorite! {still is of course}

Unknown said...

What a great day you made for your daughter! I love the suitcase you decorated!!! You certainly did a beautiful job on everything! ~Lori

Jenn said...

Wow, everything looks great! Makes me wish I had a girl, the parties are so much cuter!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Everything looks amazing! I'm very happy to have found your site, I can't wait to see more :)

Unknown said...

super cute! Love her outfit too!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

Kitty Deschanel said...

What a fun day! This is darling, especially the outfit and that incredible cake! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link this up to my Not "Baaad" (get it?) blog hop, which features a competition for the Best in Show award :)

Anonymous said...

I love the way you "lightly" touched on the theme. Very cute. I love the suitcase too. Wonderful party ideas, I know I'll use the dot garland for our next gathering (my guess is they'll be golf balls for daddy!)

Unknown said...

What an adorable party! Just wondering if the strawberry was a cake covered in fondant or just a gumpaste/fondant mound? So adorable!
sbandermann14@hotmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails