Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rapunzel's birthday

We celebrated Kate's 5th birthday last month. Despite being sick, I had to pull something together since 5th birthdays are one of the few birthday's we celebrate with a friend party. She's patiently waited 2 years for this and won't have another friend party for three years, so I wanted to make it as special as I could.

As guests arrived they recieved a purple glitter crown. (found at JoAnn's $1 bins)

Then everyone was sent outside to develop their artistic talents in sidewalk paintings.  

 I loved this one of rapunzel and her floating lanterns. (please ignore the rust stains)

 Next we beaded necklaces.

I was so worried about entaining the girls, but really they just enjoyed playing outside together.  

After working up and appetite, we went inside for lunch, presents, cake and ice cream. 
This was one of the hardest cakes I've ever done. I ran out of time and wasn't able to do half of what I wanted to. 

I was so upset, and felt like a huge failure until I saw her reaction. 

She doesn't care that the tower is going to fall any second. 

the decorations:
Thanks to my silhouette, these banners were a breeze to make. 

I loved the look of the chandelier.

We hung several of these Flynn Rider wanted posters inside and out. You can find the image HERE.

I forgot to get a picture of these all wrapped up, but here is what we sent home in a goodie bag. 

I have to give a huge shout out to my mom for helping me make the amazing Rapunzel dress. 
I couldn't have done it without her. 

I had a really complicated idea of how to make it, luckily my mom has years of experience and showed me a much, much simpler way of putting it together. Sorry no pattern- we totally winged it. 
Honestly this dress was my favorite part of the party and I think it may have been Kate's too. 

I have to laugh, I had created this great plan years ago to make my life easier and only celebrate 3rd, 5th, 8th and 12th birthdays with friend parties. Funny how all three girls ended up with a friend party this spring. I was so  sick for the 3 year old's birthday that I had to cancel it, but I'm hoping I have the energy to pull off the 8 year olds next month. 

11 comments:

nest full of eggs said...

the party turned out great ~ I bet she loved it !
I was really impressed with the homemade cake !! & really like the embroidery stitch down the front of the dress :)

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I am thinking about doing a Tangled party for my daughters this year. But their Birthdays aren't until October, so I am sure they will have 100 different party ideas until then.. :)

Catrin said...

Omg. This cake is AMAZING. I love it. What is supposed to be wrong with it?
The party is fabulous, too.
Thanks for sharing this party with us.
Greetings from Germany
Catrin

Emilie said...

That cake rocks! Mine was such a disaster! And I really loved that you printed out the poster and put it on a real tree...why didn't I think of that?? great job!

- Emilie
(www.pluckymomo.com)

Emily said...

Happy birthday Kate! The dress and cake are AMAZING. I like the idea of rotating friend birthdays. I hope you feel better soon! :)

erin said...

My tower fell over on my cake too---and half my figures! But my husband rigged a dowel and it worked at keeping that massive tower upright! Your's looks awesome! And that banner is super cute!

chris said...

Sometimes we set the bar too high for ourselves. I think you did an amazing job, and Kate looks absolutely thrilled. Lots of happy thoughts you way. :)

Sugar Swings said...

you did a great job, and that is a hard design!!! and the reaction is the most important thing, awesome :)

Joseph said...

super cute dress! Now you know how to make one for Audrey. I wish we could have been there!

Francisca said...

they are so sweet *.*

Carolyn said...

What? You made all that stuff??? I am in awe of your cake making skills. Amazing!
And my daughter would die for a dress like that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails