Friday, October 23, 2009

Hairy Spider Cakes

We make spider cakes every Halloween. This year I thought I would try making them cupcake size. I think they turned out pretty cute. I made little cake pedestals for each of them and we delivered them to friends.
What you need:
-12 regular cupcakes baked without paper cups
-12 mini cupcakes baked without paper cups
-chocolate frosting or any frosting tinted brown, grey or black
-a ziplock bag to pipe frosting
-black pipe cleaners
-mini gum drops (8 for each spider)
-M&M's

First: you take a one cupcake and one mini cake and place them by each other
Then you do a base coat with the frosting
Next you fill a ziplock bag with frosting, cut a corner and pipe frosting up and down around cupcakes. You can't mess this up. They look great messy.
Lastly cut pipe cleaners in thirds and stick a gum drop on the end. Bend the cleaners in half and stick the other end into the cupcake. Add two M&M's for the eyes.
Super easy!


For the cake pedestal, you need:
Plastic bread plate
paper cup
Halloween paper
glue gun


I just glued a strip of paper around the edge and then glued the bottom the cup to bottom of plate. A fun way to deliver a treat.

My kids even loved helping!

3 comments:

Tami said...

How do you have time to do all this?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Those are so fun! I especially love the way you made that pedestal

Unknown said...

Wow! my sons - LOVE spiders! what a GREAT idea!! (hopping by from Hoosier Homemades friday favorites) Thanks for all the step by step pictures! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails