Friday, August 27, 2010

As Promised

I promised I would post how I made the sleeves for THIS post.
I started off with a rectangular piece of fabric that will be the straps. You can make the strap as wide or thin as you would like. To figure out the length, I had my daughter put on the top (minus straps) and measured over the shoulder front to back. I added an inch to both ends to be used when attaching it to the bodice.
Next I cut the sleeve to be attached to the strap. I freehand cut it. You can draw the shape onto a piece of paper for a pattern if that would be more comfortable. I cut it while folded in half so both sides of the sleeve would be the same. Make sure to cut two sleeves, using your first as a pattern for the second.
Here it is laying next to the strap fabric to give you an idea of the proportion.
Next I serged the curved edge, folded it over, ironed and sewed it down. If you don't have a serger you can fold over the edge twice and sew.
Now I sewed a seam down the inside straight edge to make a gather. Do not back stitch and use the longest stitch your machine will allow.
Then pull on the bobbin (bottom) thread to create gathers. I kept my gathers in the middle.
Next I lined up the gathered edge with one side of the strap. I pinned them together in the middle.
Then I pulled over the other side, creating a sandwich with the gathered sleeve in the middle. The right sides of the strap will be facing each other. I pinned the sandwich together from he middle out.
I sewed a 3/8 seam down the side.
Then I pulled the strap right side out and ironed it flat.
That's it. It's already to be attached to your top.
Let me know if you have any questions.


PatriciaRaeDesigns said...

oh i really like it thanks for sharing i have tons of little girl tutorials on my blog if you want to stop by i've been following you for a while now


jacque4u2c said...

Just adorable!

Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...


Our really empty nest said...

Thank you Thank you! I make aprons and i just got off the phone with a woman who wanted me to girly up a full apron for her. This will be a perfect little accent for my aprons, cant wait to try it!! Sue

Momma B said...

Kalleen, do you have an Etsy shop? I just ran across one with some really cute reusable food bags and the name of the shop is Second Street! It made me think of you!!!

Hayley said...

Oh, I think I can do this! You made it so simple! Thanks so much for going to the trouble to post this. It is MUCH appreciated!


Related Posts with Thumbnails