Friday, October 28, 2011

harry potter and friends

My kids have known for months what they wanted to be this year. It all started when we listened to the first Harry Potter book on tape this summer on our way to California.

Luckily, I talked the little ones into being owls so we could finally have family themed costumes.

It helps that my kids already look similar to the characters.

I can't get over how much he looks like a young Harry Potter.

I made the robes with a $5 bolt from Walmart. I was so excited when I found it. They were a nightmare to line with the burgundy, but totally worth it. I ordered the patches online for a few dollars each.

Hermione wants to wear hers 24-7.  

It was her idea to pose with books.  She takes her character very seriously.



There has been non-stop spell casting in our home all week. 

I don't know if I should be concerned that they keep trying to kill each other with their spells?

Kate was so excited to not just be an owl, but Harry's owl.

I was inspired by THIS costume, but made mine a little differently. 

I made the mask so it could be worn over her eyes or can sit on top of her head.

I think my favorite is the brown owl. 

Hoo...Hoo...

I just love all the textures of the fabrics. 

And I love the mask. It's so cute and only too minutes to make.

I'm so glad to be done and that they all worked out. It's been a crazy week. The best part is that most of our costumes came from stuff we had around the house. I only had to buy the robe material, patches, and glasses. We borrowed the tie and had everything else on hand. The owl costumes are made from old clothing in our donate piles. 

19 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Oh my heavens Kalleen, I LOVE THEM!!!! I really love the pictures too! :) You did a fantastic job as always!

chris said...

Great minds think alike! We had a sweet neighbor make our kids special wands last summer, and that inspired our costume choices this year. I'm glad mine are not the only ones who've been hurling killing curses at each other!

Jen @ My Own Road said...

Wow, I'm amazed at how awesome these are!! They look so good! I love that you made owl costumes too! You kids look like they absolutely love them too!

Melissa C said...

Adorable!!!! These costumes are perfect. I'm a big HP fan ;) The owls are too cute.

Unknown said...

Love love LOVE this!!! So creative.
Moore Babies

Emily said...

These are perfect! Your kids do look like Harry and Hermione!

kBr said...

wow!!!! i'm impressed with these costumes...i absolutely love love love them!!!! (especially the little owls!)

Anonymous said...

They look great!

Unknown said...

That's so cute! My son is going to be Harry Potter this year too. I was going to make his cloche (?) too. But, decided it was cheaper (and much easier!) just to buy one. I wish I didn't though. It's very cheap looking...But, the important thing is: my son loves it!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Oh- this is too cute... your daughter looks JUST LIKE Hermione! I cannot get over it! and those owls are simply adorable!

Unknown said...

LOVE this!!!! they are just too cute!! that one photo of your daughter looks like Hermione (the pose, the hair, the costume)!!!! and the owls are precious!! way to go!

Laurel said...

They are so cute. We have gone as a Harry Potter ensemble before. It is so much fun. Happy Trick or Treating

Andrea said...

Adorable!! Love all of them!

Tee said...

Bravo! Outstanding! Standing ovation for your little actors!

Blissful & Domestic said...

These are fantastic! I love you reused so much for the costumes. I'd love for you to link up to my linky party.

www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

I love owls and yours are mighty cute. Very cute bunch.

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

Kalleen, these are perfect! What cute kids you have, too. I am loving the owls! And Hermione with the books, lol! Your son is adorable. He looks just like Harry!

Emily said...

Adorable - costumes and kidlets! You once again prooved inspirational - I had decided on an owl for our 9 month old, but was having trouble with the head part - hat? Hood? Then I saw your great masks and my dilemna was solved!! Happy Halloween and Thanks!

Delia said...

This is seriously so cute. I love that your younger daughters dressed up as owls. So smart!

And your kids are just adorable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails